January is such a huge month for making resolutions for change. Working at an athletic club I see the building swell with members starting January 1 and then watch a dramatic drop-off about the tail end of February. Why is this?
It is caused by the Difficult In~Between!!
So often we can recognize a need to make changes in our lives, we can imagine the goal accomplished; picture our success. However, making a lasting change in behavior is rarely a simple process, and usually involves a substantial commitment of time, effort and emotion. The problem comes when we begin to challenge ourselves to take the needed steps toward the goal.
Whether the goal is weight loss, money management, becoming organized, a stronger marriage, or any other area we may find ourselves needing to grow; we still have to take regular “new” steps to reach our goal.
For greater success in getting through the “Difficult In-Between” here are a few simple tricks:
1. Put your plan in writing. Place it somewhere that you can see it regularly.
2. Start with small do-able steps. Break your goals down into small “manageable” wins! As you gain success in the smaller steps you will be encouraged to continue.
3. Work on one key goal at a time. Many times people run into problems when they try to change too much too fast. As your new behaviors become a habit, try to add another goal that takes you closer to your overall change.
4. Grab some accountability! Everything is better with a buddy. Find a friend, family member, or co-worker to join you on your journey. Having someone with whom you can honestly share your struggles and successes makes the goal less intimidating. 🙂
5. Celebrate every win!! Take note of your successes; don’t skip over or minimize the fact that your efforts matter!
Change can be hard~~ but so worth the effort!! 🙂
“Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.”