Life can be so busy, right? We run here and there getting through our list of tasks each day with barely a margin to catch our breath. At least I have found myself in this situation more often than I care to admit!
This year, while considering a meaningful New Years Resolution, I felt impressed to make a concerted effort to slow down, acknowledging and appreciating those who serve my life in so many ways: Airline stewardesses, waiters, retail clerks, grocery baggers, gas station attendants, etc.
I have learned some interesting things in the process:
1. It takes extra time and intentionality to slow down enough to look someone in the eye and ask how they are doing.
2. People rarely hear a “thank you” in service work and are really taken aback ( in a good way) when they receive an expression of appreciation.
3. It takes courage to be intentional and express appreciation. Even when I feel grateful I might not verbally express it. I get a little nervous, to be honest.
4. When people feel you are sincere in asking about them, they will open up in really surprising ways. In doing so I have learned so many stories of those with whom I have interacted. Really special.
5. Once appreciation has been expressed, the interaction takes on a whole new feeling when we see one another again. 🙂
I have worked in the service industry in my life and know how it feels when my days were full of grumpy, busy, or entitled people. It’s tough.
How about we all slow down a little bit in the coming year and encourage those who serve us in so many ways. How about we express our appreciation in creative and kind ways. It’s amazing what we can learn about people, and ourselves!
One thought on “Thoughts for the New Year~”
Excellent reminder Dianna. Thank you!
* * *Greg Salciccioli* President & Executive Coach Coachwell Inc.
PO Box 5005 Bend, OR. 97708
Office: 541.728.0601 Direct: 541.728.0511 Cell: 541.390.3841 *E:* email@example.com *W:* coachwell.com
** Please take a moment to **Subscribe * * to** our inspirational Coachwell Blog for regular posts of **Motivation, Hope and Happiness.*