Facebook added a “memories” feature this year where daily you can receive photos sharing exactly what you were doing on THIS day last year. Today I was reminded that exactly one year ago I was taking some time to ponder my goals and dreams for 2016; I am jolted by how quickly this year has passed!
I had to ask myself the question, ” did I complete many of my goals and am I ending the year well?” Hmmmmm………Yes, and no. Company goals? As a team I believe we exceeded our goals! Friend and family relationships? I am confident that I stayed true to my goals of keeping people a key priority in my schedule. In my faith? I wonder if I will ever be truly satisfied with my yearly growth; there is always so much more to understand, so many areas to grow. In my health? Not my best account and one that I need to move up the priority list. I’ve done a bit of the unthinkable……..allowed my schedule to affect my strict disciplines! I know, I know……I can hear you saying “but you are a Coach!” You are correct…..just trying to be authentic!
However, there are other questions I found valuable in assessing my year in preparation for a new year ahead and I thought I would pass them on to you for that when you access your year and set fresh goals for 2017:
- Did I love my family well?
- Did I use my gifts and talents well?
- What were some of the notable blessings and memories from this year?
- Was there a particular book/teaching that caused me to grow this year?
- What goals didn’t get completed? What do I need to change to be successful?
- Was I a grateful person this year?
- What is one thing that went really well? did I celebrate it?
- Was I a gracious host this year? Did I practice hospitality?
- Was I kind to others who serve me in the community: grocery stores, gas, etc?
- What term would I use to describe this year?
Take some time, before the hustle and bustle of this wonderful holiday season, grab a journal, and consider how you spent this year. Did you achieve your goals? Were you the kind of person you wanted to be? What would you like the coming year to look like for you, your family, your company, and your community? Then, make a plan, calendar dates and steps, and celebrate the wins along the way! Time really passes quickly so it’s never too early to get started!
Remember, A Goal without a Plan is just a Wish!