This past week I had the privilege of traveling with my mother and her sister on a road trip to see one of their lifelong friends a few hours away. This would be a 3 day trip full of laughter, meaningful conversations, shared memories from days gone by, and lots of reminiscing. I enjoyed the time I had with them all; each of them are so precious to me. One of the comments was that “time has just gone by so very quickly”, I even see this in my own life as I am celebrating 30 years of marriage this week. Life does indeed move forward quickly.
Since I returned from the road trip I have been looking at my own life and asking the question, “am I doing all I can to live this life well, with purpose and meaning?” As I think about that question my answer is “yes, some of the time.” I could do better.
I began to ponder the question, “What might we all regret when we get into our twilight years?” and I came up with a list of things to consider.
1. Not stopping to appreciate the “moment”. Living life so busy-minded that we miss so many amazing moments all around us.
2. Not traveling when we could have. Seeing and experiencing other cultures makes a huge difference in our world view and can create memories to last forever.
3. Holding grudges. How sad to live life as a hostage to hurt feelings! Gotta let it go!
4. Not having taken time to get to know God~ to invite Him into our lives. He gave us the very breath we breathe; how amazing to have a life knowing and trusting in Him.
5. Not having taken time to volunteer. Life is so much richer when we take time to come alongside those wanting to make a difference!
6. Not spending intentional time with loved ones. It’s a sad truth to realize that we don’t know how long we get to have those we love in our lives. It’s best not to put relationships off “till tomorrow”.
7. Caring too much what others think. We will never please everyone all the time. As much as we may try, there will always be those who see us through a filter that we cannot control. Care more about being the best YOU that you can be!
8. Working too much. Decide when then work day needs to be done. Disengage and fill your life with life-giving activities and people.
9. Never having taken risks to pursue a dream. Do you have a dream in your heart? Are you playing it so safe that your dream will never be realized?
10. Worrying too much. Life is complicated and uncertain. All of us could focus on areas of concern and find ourselves consumed with fear and worry. However, worry robs us of joy. We will regret having spent our days burdened and concerned.
It was fun to hear of all the ways my mom and her sister intentionally built memories from childhood till now. When life was hard for them; they created space for joy and laughter. When life has been joy-filled they have intentionally celebrated those moments with gratefulness. No matter what stage of life you may be in; ask yourself if there’s anything on my list that YOU may regret someday. If there is there’s no time like the present to turn it around! 🙂